Tuesday 29 September 2020

Crowns in Avot: putting the record straight

There's a fascinating post on Aish.com by Dr Norman Goldwasser, "Lessons from My Father and Childhood in the Segregated South", which is well worth a read. It also contains a brief reference to Pirkei Avot that calls for a gentle tweak. The relevant paragraph reads:

One distinct memory of those encounters was with a man who I think was named Mr. Jones. As he was waiting patiently in our living room, he looked up at me, and for no apparent reason other than to make sure that I knew the obvious, he said to me, “You know your daddy’s a good man.” As is said in Ethics of the Fathers, “A good name is greater than a gold crown". My father indeed had a good name, that stood for kindness – and justice. He always seemed to know what was the right thing to do.

The sentiment expressed by the words "“A good name is greater than a gold crown" is certainly found in Avot, but in a rather different form:

Rabbi Shimon used to say: "There are three crowns: the crown of Torah, the crown of priesthood and the crown of sovereignty—but the crown of good name surmounts them all" (Avot 4:17).


No comments:

Post a Comment