Monday 3 August 2020

Who is wise? A word on relative wisdom

Ben Zoma opens the fourth chapter of Avot with the famous question-and-answer: "Who is wise? The person who learns from all people". There he cites the first half a verse from Psalms in support of this proposition: "I gained insight from all my teachers ..." (Tehillim 119:99).

Listening to Dr Avshalom Kor's Be'Ofen Miluli slot on Radio Galatz this morning, I was reminded that there is more than one way of translating this verse. Since in Hebrew the preposition -מִ ("mi-") can mean both "from" and "than", the verse cited in Avot ("מִכָּל-מְלַמְּדַי הִשְׂכַּלְתִּי", mikol melamdai hiskalti) can also mean "I became more insightful than my teachers". This is indeed how Rabbis Avraham Ibn Ezra and Ovadyah Sforno learn it in their commentaries on Psalms. Curiously the Sforno's commentary on Avot makes no mention of his different understanding of the meaning of this verse in Psalms.

No comments:

Post a Comment