Monday 15 June 2020

Avot and a vote ...

In a recent letter to the Cleveland Jewish News, the correspondents express their concern regarding the need to provide safe and secure ways of voting, and write:

This fall, Ohioans should not have to choose between their right to vote and their health. The chaotic and confusing primary election resulted in historically low voter turnout, and countless confused and disenfranchised voters. The uncertainty caused by the pandemic has made the situation worse. We must ensure that every Ohio voice is heard. As Rabbi Hillel said, “If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And when I am for myself alone, then what am I? And if not now, when?” Pirkei Avot 1:14.

I have tried to find a way of persuading myself that Hillel's statement -- which may be construed as an endorsement of some form of democratic government -- supports the authors' proposition that voters' voices should be heard, but so far with little luck.  Suggestions, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment